'This Is The Heavy' will be released on September 16
"I hope the fans are as excited as I am that this music will be out soon," Tenpenny said in a statement. "I spent an enormous amount of time writing during the pandemic and sharing bits and pieces of what I was working on along the way. The fans really showed up for me by giving me feedback on what they were liking. Their direction helped shape this album and stretched me as a songwriter and artist."
The album gets its name from its sound (which he describes as “farm emo”) and the heaviness of the lyrics. Tenpenny co-wrote every song and co-produced with Jordan M. Schmidt.
“It’s big. It’s loud. It’s in your face and drum heavy. The project finds its own lane between a little bit country, and a little bit rock ‘n’ roll, and is without a doubt meant to be turned up.”
The album includes his singles, Truth About You (which earned him the largest streaming debut of his career), Bucket List and Elephant In The Room featuring Teddy Swims as well as the newly released song, Always Something With You.
Join our community with our FREE weekly newsletter
And, if you’re wondering what the UFO, which appears on the back cover, has to do with the new release, Tenpenny told Country Now, “I like UFOs. I like aliens and I like randomness. I thought it’d be kind of funny for people to wonder why there was a UFO on the back of the album. There’s no significant reason at all, except that I just like UFOs and thought it looked cool.”
Although Tenpenny admits he had a UFO sighting when he was in high school.
He added, “When we were kids, we would stay at my buddy’s house… we’d get on his roof, and he had a lot of property in the backyard. One night we saw this thing just hovering back there about 200 yards away. And we ran downstairs, got his mom, his mom got up and went out there, looked at it with us. It freaked her out. She called the dad, who was out of town."
“We all saw it together and it just hovered there and kind of moved around, and it just shot off,” recalled Tenpenny. “We will never forget it. I saw it clear as day. It was the craziest thing I’ve ever seen. I don’t know if there was an alien in it, but it’s definitely something I’ve never seen.”
Born and raised in Nashville, Tenpenny began his career writing songs for other artists. He released his debut album and single of the same name, Black Crow in 2015. He followed that up with his 2017 EP, Linden Ave as well as his self-titled EP and second album, Telling All My Secrets in 2018, which peaked at number five on Billboard’s Top Country Albums chart. He also has two holiday releases – Neon Christmas (2020) and Naughty List (2021).
Last year, Tenpenny teamed with Chris Young for At The End Of A Bar and RaeLynn on Get That All The Time off her second studio album, Baytown. He was also nominated for ACM's ‘New Male Artist of the Year’ and CMT's ‘Breakthrough Video’ (Drunk Me) in 2019.
1. "This Is the Heavy" (Mitchell Tenpenny, Zach Kale, Josh Kear, Jordan Schmidt, Michael Whitworth)
2. "Good Place" (Tenpenny, Kale, Kear, Whitworth)
3. "Always Something with You" (Tenpenny, Ashley Gorley, Matt Rogers, Schmidt)
4. "We Got History" (Tenpenny, Andy Albert, Devin Dawson, Schmidt)
5. "Truth About You" (Tenpenny, Matt Alderman, Thomas Archer)
6. "Sleeping Alone" (Tenpenny, Brad Clawson, Rodney Clawson, Schmidt)
7. "More Than Whiskey Does" (Tenpenny, Albert, Kyle Fishman, Jordan Schmidt)
8. "Obsession" (Tenpenny, Daniel Ross, Whitworth)
9. "Good and Gone" (Tenpenny, Zach Abend, Seth Ennis, Geoff Warburton)
10. "Do You" (Tenpenny, Chris DeStefano, Claire Douglas, Whitworth)
11. "Bucket List" (Tenpenny, DeStefano, Laura Veltz)
12. "Cry Baby" (Tenpenny, Will Weatherly, Dallas Wilson)
13. "Miss You Cause I'm Drinking" (Tenpenny, Jesse Frasure, Emma-Lee)
14. "Elephant in the Room" (Tenpenny, Christian Griswold, Sean Small, Sam Sumser, Jaten Dimsdale)
15. "Happy and I Hate It" (Tenpenny, Schmidt, Warburton)
16. "Now We're Talking" (Tenpenny, Albert, Schmidt, Warburton)
17. "Losers" (Tenpenny, Albert, J. T. Harding, Daniel Ross)
18. "Still Thinkin' 'Bout You" (Tenpenny, Archer, Fishman)
19. "Long as You Let Me" (Tenpenny, Archer, Fishman, Schmidt)
20. "That's How She Goes" (Tenpenny, Brett Warren, Brad Warren)
Keep up to date with everything Mitchell Tenpenny and follow him on Facebook here.